[News] RMS Versus Proprietary Software and Junk Patents

Stallman: Free software is matter of good vs. evil

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'm neither for nor against selling copies of software," he said.
| "The question of money is secondary. There is no conflict between
| free software and capitalism."
|
| And free software promotes democracy, too.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/43541-1.html

Patent Pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| The suit alleges that the security-software giant infringed on a
| DeepNines patent, one that combines an intrusion detection and
| prevention system with a firewall, in a single device. McAfee
| denies the charge, saying the patent relies on previously known
| technology, and is gearing up for a long and costly fight.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2007/0507/044.html?partner=yahoomag

Who need that litigious garbage? Patent on intrusion detection? While nations
like China freely develop and innovate, Americans take their battles to
court, over trivial algorithms whose ownership they claim.