Re: Microsoft controls IBM's destiny ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Friday 20 April 2007 18:33 \__

> Operating Systems Direction Issues
> David Reed
> 6/4/90
>
> The central issue in the operating system directions today is the
> apparent divergence of IBM's operating system direction from Microsoft's
> direction. This creates a very uncertain application development
> environment. It is not clear today wether following IBM's systems
> direction is a profitable direction.
>
> Our overall impression is that IBM has nearly completely post control of
> the operating systems directions of its systems. Consequently, Microsoft
> now is in more control of IBM's destiny than ever.

> http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/4000/PX04455.pdf

We know the story.

,----[ Quote ]
| "Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks using
| online mavens to go into forums and create Web sites extolling the virtues
| of Windows over OS/2. They were dubbed the Microsoft Munchkins, and it
| was obvious who they were and what they were up to. But their numbers
| and energy (and they way they joined forces with nonaligned dummies who
| liked to pile on) proved too much for IBM marketers, and Windows won
| the operating-system war through fifth-column tactics"
`----

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html

Before these dirty tricks, things worked differently.

Bill Gates (1989): "OS/2 is the Way of the Future!" (1989 Bill Gates Talk on
Microsoft)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/1989%20Bill%20Gates%20Talk%20on%20Microsoft.html

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/0000/PX00031.pdf

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 116 total,   1 running, 112 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie