Re: [News] [Rival] Rumour: Microsoft Uses Model to Attract Employees

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
<spam@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 04:49:58 +0100
<6s3to4-12l.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on
>> Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:54:01 +0100
>> <pu0so4-btu.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Oh look, a picture revealing she has *cleavage* and a smile!  (And a
>> rather nice strapless dress.)
>
> [sigh]
>
> Only in Oz could a Sheila's cleavage influence educational decisions.

I doubt it...for the longest time pretty girls were
pictured next to cars in ads (a Korean (?) carmaker
actually made some waves by stating publicly that they
wanted people to actually look at the *cars*, and therefore
wasn't going to do that anymore), and many of the women
in Vegas during certain conventions weren't exactly noted
for their professional achievements -- or their conservative
dress manner.

And then there's the impossibly curvaceous Lara
Croft, and the apparent trend within Disney movies
to imbue female figures with bigger bustlines --
Pocahontas in particular.  Cinderella's modest figure
is barely noticeable, for example, in the book cover
www.whatihaveread.net/book.php?0083 (though it's obvious
she's a woman -- mostly because of the hair and ball gown).
To be fair, the Pocahontas pictures I can pull up hide
her ample figure well enough to not be too objectionable,
and Lara Croft has an excuse -- her outfits, presumably,
are to keep her cool while dodging traps, rocks, slings,
and arrows of outrageous fortune while in old tombs,
not to sweep a romantic figure on a ballroom floor.
Maybe her top-heaviness allows her to fall over more
quickly as darts shoot over her head, with extra
cushioning.

But I digress.

Color me cynical.  To be sure, all of the above isn't
exactly acamedia, but the point is that women, particulary
pretty, voluptuous ones, have been used in a large number
of venues to attempt to influence decision making, at least
recently -- though I doubt it's all that recent, somehow.

>> Wait...this is relevant to the IT industry precisely how?
>
> A cleavage is about as relevant to IT, as Microsoft is to academia.

One would hope so, but Microsoft did release a Webcast
"Building the School of the Future" (referenced in
https://register.worktankseattle.com/EDU/).

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail