[News] Palm's Linux-based Foleo Review and Impression

  • Subject: [News] Palm's Linux-based Foleo Review and Impression
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:33:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hands-On With Palm's Linux-based Foleo

,----[ Quote ]
| I spent some time today with Palm's not-yet-released Foleo at the LinuxWorld
| conference here in San Francisco. Due out this summer, the $600
| not-quite-a-laptop device is small and light and might be of interest for
| some Treo-using mobile professionals, but most people would likely be much
| better served by a regular notebook.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005126.html

[Anti-Linux shill:] Palm's Foleo: The Closer It Gets, the Better It Looks?

,----[ Quote ]
| It runs a Linux distro from Wind River on an embedded low-power architecture
| (processor not specified), which means instant on/off and a set of built-in
| applications that run in full-screen mode – so it's more like a Palm PDA or a
| Pocket PC than a full-blown laptop – but it's open enough that Palm is
| encouraging third-party developers to build applications for it.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/08/palms_foleo_the.html

This person has a very anti-Linux posting history. He also sidles with SCO and
spews out lies.

Related:

Palm Foleo bundles remote PC access ware

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm today announced that when it ships later "this summer," the Foleo mobile
| companion will come equipped with remote PC access software from LogMeIn. The
| software will enable users to quickly and securely access files and network
| resources on their home or work computers, Palm said.

Palm Foleo with Linux threatens the Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The Palm Foleo is joining a list of MID (Mobile Internet Devices) like the
| Nokia N800 and Asus Eee that use a lightweight version of Linux but the main
| advantage of the Foleo is its instant on feature.  While traditional “Linux”
| may be too difficult for the average user to handle, these highly integrated
| implementations of Linux have no problem being adopted by the masses.  That
| could pose a problem for Microsoft in the long run if these devices ever get
| widespread adoption.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=562

Palm Foleo First Thoughts

,----[ Quote ]
| If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video should be worth a
| whole volume. That's why Brian Beeler and I recorded a brief video
| overview of the Foleo, which will hopefully give you a better idea of
| what it will be like to use the first mobile companion yourself.
`----

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13139

Pair of Palm ISVs promise Foleo ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Two ISVs (independent software vendors) have announced plans to port
| their commercial applications to Palm's forthcoming Linux- and
| ARM-based miniature laptop.

Live from LinuxWorld: the Palm Foleo

,----[ Quote ]
`----