Re: [News] Ruby Developers Compares His MacBook and Dell Linux PC, Favours Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> MacBook Pro Versus Dell Ubuntu
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As for the latter question, I configured a Dell Ubuntu machine as close
> | as I could to the base MacBook Pro to see what the premium was to use a
> | MacBook. According to my calculations, I would pay approximately $623
> | more for the right to use a MacBook Pro or $673 more to use a MacBook
> | Pro with a TextMate
> | license.  TextMate is a very nice IDE, but is it worth almost $700 for
> | somebody who just does Rails development?  For those people like Wynn
> | who do
> | design work on top of application development, the premium makes sense.
> | But for those of us who just code, surf the web, and do the occasional
> | blog post, I find the cost hard to justify.
> `----
>
> http://www.locomotivation.com/comments/macbook_pro_versus_dell_ubuntu/

The thing with an IDE for Rails is that all you really crave for is a well
laid out file tree, because you find yourself flicking between lots of
little files for each thing that you add, particularly at the beginning of
any project you are dancing around the apps directories.

I tended to start a session with a term open in each directory ready for
when i needed it.

With that in mind the likes of jedit and kate are the best for local
development in my view, or your file browser. (you just want that directory
tree handy).

I don't do rails any more, but if I do ever need to again I would be tempted
towards RadRail, for local development at least, particularly at the start
of a project while your deciding what goes where.

http://www.aptana.com