Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Rejected by the Olympics Organisers

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 09 August 2007 18:55 : \____

> John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:39:37 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs
>>>
>>>,----[ Quote ]
>>>`----
>>>
>>>http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/
>>
>> I'm a little confused. By about November Microsoft is going to cutoff XP
>> license sales. The Olympics will be held in 2008. They will need 12,000
>> computers with XP installed. XP on. So where will they get the licenses ?
>> Maybe they've already
>> bought a volume license ?  Maybe they've already bought 12,000 PCs with XP
>> installed ?  Maybe they've made some kind of deal with Microsoft ?
>>
>> ....if not they'd better get real busy and hoard some XP licenses.
>>

> Do you really think that Microsfot will refuse the Chinese Government?
>
> They talk to governments - that's how they get to lock the people in.
> It's the people they don't give a sh1t about.

The Chinese must have changed their minds, having actually _looked_ at Vista.
Some months ago:

Microsoft to take part in the Olympic Games in 2008 with Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| On Friday in Beijing, the organizational committee for the Olympic Games
| 2008 and Microsoft China announced that the software vendor would be an
| official software supplier to the Games, which will be held the capital
| city of China.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/92112/from/rss09

I also posted an item titled:

Despite Microsoft Deal, China Appparently Does Not Trust Windows on Servers

Open source runs alongside Windows in Olympics

,----[ Quote ]
| "The main [use of] open source has been for application servers where
| reliable open source platforms are widely used," Hore said, adding that some
| open source support tools in areas such as portals and document management
| have also been implemented.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62028059,00.htm

Obligatory links:

McCain comes out against Net Neutrality; Says would hire Microsoft CEO Steve
Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| In another move that was sure to infuriate many geeks, the 70 year
| old presidential hopeful also said that he would ask Microsoft CEO
| Steve Ballmer to serve on his cabinet to deal with technology issues
| if elected. He did not however say what position Ballmer might be
| hired in, but did joke that he might consider him for a diplomatic
| position, such as ambassador to China.
`----

http://www.thedailybackground.com/2007/05/30/mccain-comes-out-against-net-neutrality-says-would-hire-microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer/

Treachery In The Trenches

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe that most people do not grasp the immense entity of Microsoft.
| This is an organization and a man who commands the attention and bidding
| of world leaders. On a recent trip to America, the President of China
| spent his first evening in the United States, not with our President,
| but Bill Gates. He was the guest of the Gates mansion that first
| evening and the guest of honor for a dinner attended by over one
| hundred people. Why? To ask him to crack down on Software piracy
| and to insure that his computer manufacturers put Microsoft Windows
| on thier newly made machines instead of shipping them with no OS. He
| didn't see the President of the United States for over 36 hours...he
| spent that time with Bill Gates at his home and at the Redmond
| Campus.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/88-Treachery-In-The-Trenches.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reclaim your workstation - install GNU/Linux today
Tasks: 123 total,   1 running, 121 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie