Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Gets Told Off Because of OOXML, SOA

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:05:55 +0100
<11755434.ZkgUmTEin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 09 August 2007 13:45 : \____

>>> Little progress in states' ODF considerations
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.infoworld.nl/idgns/bericht.phtml?id=002570DE00740E18002573300079DCFE
>>>

>> One has to wonder just how many lives could've been saved if we'd had
>> proper open standards in place, rather than the proprietary, incomplete
>> mess which is OOXML, or in that case, older versions of Microsoft Office
>> which have been deliberately constructed to make them difficult for
>> non-Microsoft products to read.
>
> Working Linux Emergency Response System
> Undermined at Homeland Security by Microsoft Lobbying
> ^^^^^^^^^^                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> ,----[ Overview ]
> | LAMP is at the heart of Emergency Response Network Systems and is
> | saving lives. But recently, Microsoft maneuvered into taking the system
> | away from a Free Software vendor.
> `----
>
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/57181/

<sarcasm> Good show, Microsoft!  </sarcasm>

To be fair, they've painted themselves into a
bit of a lose-lose situation here:

- they lose creds (and business) if they don't try to get business
- they lose creds if they try and lose business, as that means
  their system is provably inferior
- they lose creds if they win, as that means they're a bully

Oops.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
architectures I've seen in a computer system.