Re: [News] Linux Kernel Needs More Testing, Developers Do Not Fear Forking

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 11:30 : \____

>> Linux kernel maintainer allays fears about forking
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Intel is believed to the top contributor to the kernel and its contribution
>>| only amounts to 4 percent, Gordon said.
>>|
>>| "That means no single organisation has the manpower to take the kernel, run
>>| off and fork it," said Morton. Forking would not be economically feasible.
>>| The only remote possibility of forking would be if a group of organisations
>>| controlling about 40 percent of the kernel joined forces and decided to
>>| fork it, Morton said. He stressed he sees no chance of that happening.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/07/linux-maintainer_1.html
>>

> It's encouraging that he recognises that the issue is economic rather
> than technical, there is a degree of enlightened realism in the free
> software world which we do not see in the proprietary world.  Having
> said that, I'm still very concerned that the dangers of binary drivers
> are not recognised by so many.

They had this discussion in the kernel mailing list several months ago (accept
or not accept binary-only drivers). It ended up requiring no change to the
status quo, but the debate will return in the future. Groklaw discusses such
as issues as well.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread