Re: [News] Palm Finds a Linux That it Likes, Linux-based 'Laptop Killer' Coming This Summer

> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 09:06 : \____

>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:41 : \____

>>> Have a look at this new one. Take your large desktop everywhere you go (and
>>> let the CPU-intensive stuff run remotely).
>>>
>>> Palm Foleo bundles remote PC access ware
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2274337184.html
>>>

>> It's a neat solution, although I find VNC and SSH are adequate for my
>> humble needs.  It's amazing how much you can achieve with just ssh
>> console access, in my experience, let alone with x-forwarding and so
>> on.
>>
>> The Nokia 800 has vnc clients and servers, as well as telnet client, ssh
>> clients & servers, so it has all that flexibility.
>
> The size of the screen and keyboard remain an issue (productivity wise), which
> is why Foleo is a brilliant device with great potential.

I use a bluetooth keyboard with my N800 which is normal sized when
opened up, and seems to work very well.

I don't find the screen size a huge issue, since I use it in order to be
highly mobile, so having a smaller size is good.

That said, I'm sure there's room in the market for slightly larger
devices, too.

Looking at the space next to me, there's an old Z88 Sinclair laptop, a
Psion 2; an Osaris (Psion) 4, Psion 5MX, a couple of old Toshiba Pentium
1 75MHz laptops, a Nokia N770 and a Nokia N800.

It's like a shrine to portable computing!

I've also got an older Rockwell PR100 calculator - one of the earliest
progammable ones, and I used to have a sinclair programmable with the
purple display, but that disappeared long ago.  I have an HP28S, though,
too.

The Windows era resulted in the fewest number of alternative devices
there ever was, but as we come out of that, we can see the huge amount
of suppressed demand, suppressed by the Microsoft lock-in.  The standard
question used to be "does it work with windows", meaning, can I put the
Microsoft proprietary stuff onto it.