Re: [Rival] The Messy Business of XBox360; Microsoft Drops Price to Survive

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 10:46 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 18:24 : \____
>>
>>> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> This is a disaster.  It sounds to me like the problem stems from
>>> "requirements creep".  It's a common problem in any technical project.
>>> The initial specification probably didn't have an HD-DVD drive, the
>>> whole machine was specc'ed for something smaller.  At a much later
>>> stage, Microsoft started doing deals with film studios and Toshiba to
>>> promote a particular HD-DVD format, and needed to get it into their Xbox
>>> Mk2.  Unfortunately, it was too late to have the board reworked, so a
>>> bodge was worked out where the heatsink was replaced with a smaller one,
>>> leaving just enough room to squeeze in the new, larger, DVD drive.
>>>
>>> The designers did not agree with the change, but in the end, were
>>> pressured into accepting it by senior management (have I see this
>>> before ;-)?  The consequence is that all the "negative" people who said
>>> it wouldn't work and why have been shown not to be being "negative",
>>> rather, they were just presenting the facts.
>>>
>>> No doubt the paper trail in Microsoft will not arrive at the person who
>>> forced the decision through - such people are usually far too cautious
>>> to allow such things to be linked with them in any way.
>>
>> Remember all the batteries that Sony recalled. Last week I read something
>> new in CNET. Sony recalled tens of thousands of cameras. Do you know why?
>> Because the design could, over time, scratch the hand of the person holding
>> it. Now, that's resposibility.
>
> I worked for quite some time, on and off, in maintenance around various
> kinds of consumer and professional electronics, and I do recall the
> pretty much every company we worked with, from pretty much any corner of
> the planet (corner?!? :-), would take design flaws seriously.  In the
> main, they would supply kits for re-working the equipment, and would pay
> a reasonable sum of money for repair-shops to make the fix, although
> they did insist that the retailer should cover some of it out of their
> margin.
>

>> Microsoft, on the other hand, must (1) freeze the market; (2) screw the
>> customer; (3) use its PR forced to lie, deceive, and hide the problem. It's
>> all here, in one paragraph from a recent interview.
>
> They really do things differently in Redmond, don't they?
>

>> Cringely the Unemployable on the fallacy of Web 2.0, Microsoft ruthlessness,
>> and the CB radio of our decade
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Davidson: Which software company would you hate to compete against? What
>>| makes you single them out?
>>|
>>| Cringely: Microsoft of course. They have the deepest of pockets, unlimited
>>| ambition, and they are willing to lose money for years and years just to
>>| make sure that you don't make any money, either. And they are mean, REALLY
>>| mean.
>>|
>>| Davidson: Why do you think Microsoft is mean? Are you implying some kind of
> [...]

Microsoft said that WinFS will have been ready by 2003. I'm not even sure it
will materialise. Ever! Certainly not as part of the core.

Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
 11:20:02 up 1 day, 14:13,  6 users,  load average: 2.58, 2.81, 2.31