Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Rejected by Its Buyers, XP SP3 Planned, Cartoons Illustrate the Mess

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 12:04 : \____

>> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 06 August 2007 15:15 : \____

>>> Yes, I recall a similar debate quite recently, where I surmised that one
>>> of two outcomes would be likely, either:
>>>
>>> a) ... Free Software on Windows familiarises Windows users with those
>>>        apps, and hence makes the transition to Linux easier and more
>>>        likely, or ...
>>> b) ... Apathy dissuades people from switching, since they now have most
>>>        of what they need.
>>>
>>> However, scenario b) is less likely IMHO, since they would still have
>>> the bloated, insecure, buggy, and virus prone Windows framework to
>>> contend with. But then scenario a) may suffer the same fate (apathy)
>>> since PCs invariably come pre-installed with Windows.
>>>
>>> Overall, yes I agree that keeping Free software off the Windows platform
>>> would be a better strategy, but then I can't help feeling it would be
>>> hypocrisy to pro-actively advocate that people cannot use Free software
>>> any way they wish (within the word and the *spirit* of the GPL).
>>>
>>> That does give me pause for thought over the Tivo effect, however. Here
>>> is a clear case of an abuse of trust, an exploitation, and the very real
>>> effect of inhibiting those who use and contribute to Free software from
>>> actually *using* that Free software within the full remit of that
>>> license and philosophy (i.e. allow modifications that work on the
>>> hardware those modifications were designed for). Could Microsoft do
>>> something similar with Free software running under Windows? I did hear
>>> something along the lines of Windows limits the amount of memory which
>>> can be allocated to (IIRC) Cygwin apps. Perhaps you can find the
>>> citation (I'm all Googled out today). :)
>>
>> There were 2-3 threads about this. I first posted this when it was initially
>> published. A few months later this turned out not to be true, so I posted a
>> correction.
>
> There are any number of examples of the Tivoisation problem abounding,
> with all kinds of devices out there which, even if they can be reflashed
> or given a second boot option, still prevent the user from being able to
> run the original application unless the exact stack remains in place.
>
> This is essentially retaining lock-in, whilst using GPLed code in order
> to do so, which is the bit I find more than a little offensive.
>
> I've no particular objection to companies or organisations who wish to
> offer binary-only applications, but I just don't accept that they should
> be able to gain platform lock-in using GPLed components.
>

>>> Who knows what Microsoft have planned for the future of the so-called
>>> (and manically named) TC / TCG / LaGrande / NGSCB / Palladium / TCPA /
>>> Acronym of the month? Could there be a Tivo-esque implementation of a
>>> Fritz chip conspiring with the above technologies to lock out certain
>>> Free Software?
>>
>> Like DRM, HD, XAML, OOXML, XPS and other standards /du jour/, they are all
> [...]

It has already said so (last week), it tries, and so far it struggles to make a
transition. It requires 5-10 years to bear fruits (if any)... that's their
argument, or an argument of an analyst that follows Microsoft.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
 07:00:01 up 1 day,  9:53,  6 users,  load average: 2.07, 2.20, 1.50