Re: [News] Valve and ID Software Might Be GPL Violators

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 18:08 : \____

>> Id Software and Valve violating GPLs!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| I just wanted to post it here because I thought people should know that iD
>>| and Valve are together taking advantage of other peoples work without even
>>| giving them credit.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=128297
>>
>> To make matters worse, they ban Linux users for requesting something in
>> return (platform support).
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6510144&postcount=4
>> http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15
>

> Apparently, they're using DOSBOX in a Wolf3D distribution, and have
> removed all the GPL stuff.  That would be a violation of course, perhaps
> not a huge one, but certainly a violation.

I hope you could see the context (and thus the importance) of this accusation.
One of the COLA trolls dismissed my arguments in Digg (or maybe it was here),
saying that Steam does not benefit from Free software (while at the same time
snubbing it). It arrogantly locks Linux users out of access to important
medium.

There's nothing like taking the piss out of your own roots. Google was subject
to such accusation because it curtails Linux ports of its software.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
 06:20:02 up 1 day,  9:13,  6 users,  load average: 1.05, 0.88, 0.91