Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Blasted for Open Source iPhone Software Neglect; Stung by Patent Troll

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 18:09 : \____

>> Researcher Blasts Apple for 'Negligent' Patching
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| A researcher who went public last month with the first iPhone vulnerability
>>| says Apple's updating of the open-source components it uses in Mac OS X is
>>| inexcusable and negligent.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135589-c,macos/article.html
>>
>> iPhone's keyboard prompts patent violation suit
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| SP Technologies filed a claim alleging that Apple has infringed on a patent
>>| it was granted in 2004 for a "method and medium for computer readable
>>| keyboard display incapable of user termination".  [WTF???]
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| SP Technologies is seeking "reasonable royalties" from Apple, which online
>>| rumours have speculated could see compensation paid for each iPhone already
>>| sold.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/06/apple_iphone_keyboard_patent/
>>
>> Wonderful. Just like Xerox and Palm. The customer suffers. Stylus strokes --
>> truly innovative and never done before (hint: the pencil is prior art).
>>

> Well, my Psion 5mx had handwriting recognition, and my Nokia N770s and
> N800 have too.  The Psion predates 2004 by a loooong way, though.
>
> This just shows how insane these patents really are.  Incidentally, even
> the name "SP Technologies" sounds like a patent trolling company?

I was disappointed to find that the name contained the word "Technology", which
makes it unlikely that it's just a law firm with a portfolio (i.e. a list of
7-digit numbers).

Unisys: open source software set to have a similar impact as the Internet
Tasks: 124 total,   1 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie