Re: Linux and wireless broadband

____/ thad on Wednesday 08 August 2007 02:14 : \____

> Its been a while since I've posted here, but this seems worthy of it.
> I'm writing this message from my Sony Picturebook laptop, connected to
> the Internet via the GF's Verizon cellphone and actually getting pretty
> close to the advertised 1.4 mbps.  I'm running a rather trimmed down
> version of Ubuntu Linux on this system (and it limps along with its
> 266 MHz CPU and 64 MB RAM) but it works well enough for the SSH
> sessions and web surfing required for my consulting works.
>
> Of course Linux is not officially supported by Verizon, but
> then stock Linux pppd works just fine once an appropriate dialing
> profile is set up.  Configuration was not exactly plug-n-play, but
> went rather smoothly with the following guide:
>
>    http://www.linux.com/articles/52729

Your absence must be a sign of great success in the Linux ecosystem. :-)

I asked Mark Shuttleworth about modem support in Ubuntu and I look forward to a
reply that will be published.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
Swap:  1510068k total,   675876k used,   834192k free,    60628k cached