[News] State of California Loses Faith in Proprietary Software for Important Stuff, Microsoft Lobbies

  • Subject: [News] State of California Loses Faith in Proprietary Software for Important Stuff, Microsoft Lobbies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 00:43:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
End the secrecy of electronic voting

,----[ Quote ]
| We have no opportunity to determine whether electronic voting machines are
| properly programmed to record and count our votes -- merely because the
| corporate vendors of these machines insist on keeping their programming
| "source code" a trade secret.
`----

http://www.contracostatimes.com/opinion/ci_6550239?nclick_check=1

"Of course Diebold and Microsoft are fighting it. Secretary of State Debra
Bowen supports the bill."

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24284

We have already seen Microsoft twisting arms (bullying) New York over this. It
has already been shown that the voting machines are broken by design. This was
even proven scientifically recently.

Related:

E-voting vendor succumbs to California source code demands

,----[ Quote ]
| "... there are serious concerns regarding the motivations and apparent
| personal agendas of a number of the currently proposed examiners," ES&S
| exec StevenPearson wrote in a letter agreeing to turn over the source
| code.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/28/evoting_source_code_disclosure/

John Edwards supports "open source" for voting systems

,----[ Quote ]
| John Edwards has become the first presidential candidate to support
| "open source code" for election systems.
`----

http://www.freepress.org/departments/display/19/2007/2662#3258828628252476494

Microsoft Muscles the NYS Legislature

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s proposed change to state law would effectively render
| our current requirements for escrow and the ability for independent
| review of source code in the event of disputes completely meaningless
| - and with it the protections the public fought so hard for.
`----

http://nyvv.org/blog/bolipariblog.html

Halt e-voting, says election body

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the commission saying security needed to be "strengthened", Mr Will
| said: "We are pleased that the evaluations point to a high level of system
| security and user confidence in e-voting systems tested and that the security
| and integrity of the polls was not compromised.

Most vote machines lose test to hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| "The vendors appeared to have designed systems that were not high assurance
| (of security)," said Bishop, a recognized expert on computer security. "The
| security seems like it was added on.''
`----

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/28/VOTING.TMP&tsp=1

State legislators keep e-voting apps in public hands

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/062507-state-legislators-keep-e-voting-apps.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

,----[ Quote ]