[News] OpenMoko Overhelmed by Demand and Sold Out, Greenphone Blows its Trumpet Too

  • Subject: [News] OpenMoko Overhelmed by Demand and Sold Out, Greenphone Blows its Trumpet Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 00:35:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
| production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.

Trolltech Opens Up Judging Of Qtopia Greenphone Mobile Linux Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Greenphone, the first open Linux mobile development device for software
| innovation, as well as the Qtopia Greenphone Developer Challenge, a global
| contest to encourage development of Linux-based mobile phone applications,
| has opened the doors for new development.

Portrait of a Linux iPhone-killer wannabe

,----[ Quote ]
| In the race to be the first "iPhone killer," the most unlikely but perhaps
| most intriguing candidate is based on a new Linux platform with the
| peculiar name OpenMoko.

OpenMoko on PalmTX

,----[ Quote ]
| One problem is OpenMoko is based on GTK, so it will need more than 32MB
| RAM (the phone has 128MB). Another problem is the screen size: 640x480,
| so everything looks a bit too large. I was able to scale the interface
| down to 480x320, but there still were some elements not to fit the
| PalmTX's display.

Forget iPhone, hail OpenMoko, the true revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| ...I would rather wait for OpenMoko to become available for purchase
| than shell out high bucks for iPhone. Just like with any Apple
| product, it is like an awesome looking golden cage. I always
| preferred freedom to control my own digital devices than to be
| mostly dependent on one vendor for everything.

Open Phones with Open Moko

,----[ Quote ]
| While the hardware may be similar, the strategy is a complete
| reversal of Apple's closed platform and proprietary hardware.
| OpenMoko is an open Linux-based mobile application development
| platform that's designed to help operators and developers build
| innovative applications on top of a basic phone platform.

IPhone Flaw Lets Hackers Take Over, Security Firm Says

,----[ Quote ]
| The researchers, working for Independent Security Evaluators, a company that
| tests its clients’ computer security by hacking it, said that they could take
| control of iPhones through a WiFi connection or by tricking users into going
| to a Web site that contains malicious code. The hack, the first reported,
| allowed them to tap the wealth of personal information the phones contain.

How secure are Linux, Window and Mac OS?

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall it looks like the Linux kernel turns out to be the most
| secure system. Not only does it have virtually no security holes
| that lead to system access, it's also very resilient to remote
| attacks, two areas where both Windows and Mac OS X aren't doing
| very well.

Apple iPhone issue highlights security debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Most early iPhone adopters have bought into the Apple mythology which
| convinces them that anything blessed by Steve Jobs is automatically
| desirable, so we won't see a mass return of the shiny devices with their
| slick interface.

IPhone Contract Is Long and Legally Murky

,----[ Quote ]
| The bad news: The iPhone contract may not be the last word in overly long and
| complex user agreements. Terms-of-service contracts promise to grow even more
| dense, legal experts warn, making them even more difficult to understand than
| they already are.

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.

OpenMoko Neo1973 - an open source Linux based iPhone killer in the making ?