Re: [News] Proprietary Software -- Licensing and Service Failures

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Subterranean proprietary software blues, Part 1
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In sum, I can't think of any way that a proprietary licence is good for
>> | customers. Not one. Frankly, I don't think it's much better for vendors in
>> | focusing them on helping their customers. But that's another blog entry.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9754369-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad
>
> I liked this one: "proprietary licences, the crack cocaine of software
> finance."

It sums it up very well indeed.  Unfortunately, we still seem to have a
lot of people who've learnt nothing from the growth of free software,
and are happy to give up their choices to the whims of vendors on the
back of proprietary drivers.

That particular bit of crack-cocaine is one thing keeping openGL
applications for functioning on the PPC machine running linux with an
nVidia card, beside me.