Re: [Rival] Vista Rejected by Its Buyers, XP SP3 Planned, Cartoons Illustrate the Mess

After takin' a swig o' grog, waterskidoo belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On 2007-08-04, John Bailo, Texeme.Construct <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Could this be a really clever move on MS part?
>>
>> 1. Get rid of XP.
>> 2. Produce an bloated unusable OS called Vista.
>> 3. Double the price.
>> 4. Let users cry out in agony for XP.
>> 5. Give them XP back at twice the price.
>>
>> So, the end result is that you've done no work -- since you're selling
>> the same OS you wrote in 2001...and yet can charge people 2x as much
>> because they don't want to use the "newer" product.
>
> Not a chance.
> Why?
> The cost of developing Vista, even from within the XP framework, is
> staggering. That's one reason why Microsoft is looking at getting
> into the hardware business. The profit margin is better.

Are you serious?  Hardware makers have razor thin margins.  Microsoft
makes a big margin with Windows and MS Office.

> I believe Microsoft went into the Vista project with the intention
> of remedying the faults that XP has along with prolonging their
> lock in. What actually happened was that MS bit off far more than
> they could chew ...  ... and it turns into a huge turd for Microsoft.
> Yes they are shipping tons of preloaded machines, that is true,
> however how long can they sustain that without snaring the upgrade
> market segment who at the moment are ignoring Vista?

Maybe hardware is easier than software?  <grin>

--
Tux rox!