Re: [Rival] Vista Rejected by Its Buyers, XP SP3 Planned, Cartoons Illustrate the Mess

____/ John Locke on Saturday 04 August 2007 21:39 : \____

> On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 19:44:53 +0000 (UTC), waterskidoo <water.skidoo@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2007-08-04, John Bailo, Texeme.Construct <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Could this be a really clever move on MS part?
>>>
>>> 1. Get rid of XP.
>>> 2. Produce an bloated unusable OS called Vista.
>>> 3. Double the price.
>>> 4. Let users cry out in agony for XP.
>>> 5. Give them XP back at twice the price.
>>>
>>> So, the end result is that you've done no work -- since you're selling
>>> the same OS you wrote in 2001...and yet can charge people 2x as much
>>> because they don't want to use the "newer" product.
>>
>>Not a chance.
>>Why?
>>The cost of developing Vista, even from within the XP framework, is
>>staggering. That's one reason why Microsoft is looking at getting
>>into the hardware business. The profit margin is better.
>>
>>I believe Microsoft went into the Vista project with the intention
>>of remedying the faults that XP has along with prolonging their
>>lock in. What actually happened was that MS bit off far more than
>>they could chew and thus much of the truly interesting features
>>that were supposed to be part of Vista got axed leaving Vista
>>from a users perspective, nothing but XP on eye candy steroids.
>>Now add into this bouillabaisse stew all of the compatibility
>>problems Vista users are encountering, the bad press, which
>>are usually behind Microsoft BTW and the bloggers who are
>>crucifying Vista and it turns into a huge turd for Microsoft.
>>Yes they are shipping tons of preloaded machines, that is true,
>>however how long can they sustain that without snaring the upgrade
>>market segment who at the moment are ignoring Vista?
> ...and those preloaded machines are being "downgraded" to Xp or
> Windows 2000 or "upgraded"  to Linux at an ever increasing rate.
>
> Vista reminds me of when Ford came out with the Edsel:
>
> "The Edsel was introduced amidst a considerable amount of publicity on "E
> Day"—September 4, 1957. It was promoted by a top-rated television special,
> The Edsel Show on October 13, but it was not enough to counter the adverse
> public reaction to the car's styling and conventional build; the rumors that
> Ford had circulated led consumers to expect an entirely new kind of car when
> in reality the Edsel shared its bodywork with other Ford models."

Peterwm made this comparison before. I wonder if you saw it.

Within reason, consider Free software. The best things in life are also free.
 03:05:02 up 49 days,  8:33,  5 users,  load average: 1.33, 1.27, 1.20