Re: [News] Media Serves Monopoly Abuser in Fight Against GPLv3

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Saturday 04 August 2007 22:56 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Saturday 04 August 2007 00:50 : \____

>>> Good idea. You should read it it too

>>> Really? What part of "They gave the software back! Be happy! They
>>> *followed* the rules. They *followed* the tit-for-tat" is "of the rails"?

>>> You mean the "freedom" *not* to be able to use lots of hardware if the
>>> kernel where GPL3 (and silently praying that the day of a GPL3 kernel
>>> will never come)? You mean the "freedom" not even to be allowed to use
>>> GPL3 software in certain voting machines? Freedom like that?
>>
>> Peter, have a quick look:
>>
>> http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20060118155841115
>>

> Fine.
> Now tell me where it contradicts what I've been saying

I wasn't implying it should or should not contradict anything. I just wanted to
share a link with you. Someone told me about it 2 days ago and I think it's a
valuable reference to have.

Earlier today I saw an intersting remark about the quick growth of GPLv3
adoption (yes, it is going pretty well). It went along the lines
of "developers are not stupid and they are not sheep. They take time to think
about the new licence and their choice is to upgrade".

I agree with you on some things. The GPLv3 will have some negative short-trm
implication. Looking at the bigger picture, without GPLv3, you might as well
say goodbye to Free software. Get that $200 ready for a copy of SuSE.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
Mem:    515500k total,   445804k used,    69696k free,     1052k buffers