Re: USA Today on Vista Problerms

> The question the COLA group should be asking is "how many are being
> wiped for Linux?". But then facing up to and addressing real issues
> isn't COLA's forte.

Some are and some are not.
It would be great if more people gave Linux a chance however
there is no denying that Windows has the home desktop market
sewn up. And I use home desktop market because Vista has not
made it to the corporate desktop, not even close. Smart
companies know to wait for SP1 before deploying Microsoft
software.

> People always whine online.

This is news to you?
Getting back to Windows XP, I didn't see a backlash to the extent
that I am seeing with Vista.
Even the enthusiasts are complaining.

>> Still it's nothing like the backlash in the community that Vista
>> is receiving.
>
> What backlash?

Read the forums, blogs, newspapers, etc.
Why are manufacturers reverting back to offering XP?
Why did Microsoft just release a "back to XP" kit?

> Really.

Yes, really.

> All the PC shops I know offer XP as an alternative, but all ship Vista
> as standard and 9 out of 10 customers take it.

Until they use it and then guess what happens to at least some of those
systems?
Back to XP after they actually use Vista rather than read advertising hype.

> None offer Linux.

So?
I'll bet none/few offer OSX either.
That doesn't mean OSX isn't a quality in demand product.

> COLA should be addressing *that* issue, not bitching about Vista v
> XP. No wonder Linux distro hell sees little if any uptake on the
> corporate and home desktop.

Personally, I feel Linux advocacy should be 90 percent (to pick a number)
explaining Linux's advantages and 10 percent *gently* explaining
Windows faults all within the same context of the discussion.
IOW, explain Linux's security strengths while at the same time
pointing out Windows lack of security rather than just wailing
on about Microsoft being criminals, even if it's true.
But that's me and I do tend to be less emotional about these things
than some other people might be.
At the same time, people need to be educated that other software
options exist. Options that in many cases are far superior and less
expensive than what they are currently using.