[News] [Rival] Digg Signed Deal with Microsoft, UNIX/Linux Users Take a Hike

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Digg Signed Deal with Microsoft, UNIX/Linux Users Take a Hike
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:18:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Too Digg for their boots?

,----[ Quote ]
| What concerns me is that Digg hasn’t exactly been as Linux/UNIX friendly
| lately. Oh, sure, they have the section and news gets put in it. But it feels
| like less of it is being promoted to even just the technology page lately,
| let alone the front page. And then, when they do, I’ve noticed quite a few
| legitimate Linux/UNIX stories getting buried or pulled shortly after being
| promoted.
|
| Furthermore, Digg has had an increased number of very vocal
| pro-Microsoft/anti-FOSS users commenting lately and it has been hard to find
| a FOSS related story that doesn’t get flooded with anti-FOSS related
| sentiment. It has been suggested on many many occasions in the comments on
| Digg that Microsoft employs (some of) these people to create accounts and
| post pro-Microsoft/anti-FOSS comments.
|
| [...]
|
| So I ask you, is there any way in the world that this new contract could
| improve the situation? Not at all. Who knows what’s in the contract, but
| theoretically there could be something in there about pulling anti-Microsoft
| content in between the parts that cover flooding the site with pro Microsoft
| ads and of course, anti Linux/UNIX ads.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/digg_too_big_for_their_boots

The number of Linux users in the site appears to have declined (which is
probably what Microsoft wanted anyway, but it'll hurt Digg). The users went
elsewhere.

Digg back to the 90s:

http://img175.imageshack.us.nyud.net:8080/img175/379/diggor7.jpg