Re: [News] ABC Pulled a BBC, Snubs Linux Users

> ____/ Ian Hilliard on Tuesday 31 July 2007 18:22 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> If they require Flash 7+, then truly Free software gets access to the
>>> content as well. Adobe introduced proprietary codecs in Flash 8 and
>>> gnash/swf2dec (??) is nowhere near feature complete for Flash 8.
>>>

>> Flash 9 may not be Free (libre), but it is certainly available for Linux and
>> works very well (at least on 32-bit) In the mean time, if gnash/swf2dec can
>> get going, then it will be possible to watch flash on low power embedded
>> devices that are not x86 compatible. There are a whole next generation of
>> mini-laptops running Linux just waiting for such a development.
>>
>> It would probably be in Adobe's interest in getting an open source Flash
>> player going, as they make their money from the servers.
>
> Have a look at this recent development (hacker-friendly PVR):
>
> YouTube on the TV with the OSD
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Neuros is certainly not the only ones bringing net video to the TV, but we
>| are probably the only CE company doing it with open source. Nowhere is the
>| intersection between free software and free speech more obvious. If the
>| connection between the internet and the TV falls into the hands of a
>| proprietary vendor's closed solution, then the hard won free speech victory
>| of he internet will fall far short of its ultimate potential.
> `----
>
> http://open.neurostechnology.com/node/905
>
> I can't recall if they used open source code to achieve this.

There is an ARM port of flash 9, since it's working on my Nokia N800.
The problem with this, though, as always, is that you're limited to the
combination of hardware and software which the vendor thinks you should
be allowed to use; consequently, I doubt that Apple/PPC machines running
linux can display flash content with anything other than gnash.

Gnash is, perhaps, the best route forward?