Re: [News] ABC Pulled a BBC, Snubs Linux Users

____/ Ian Hilliard on Tuesday 31 July 2007 18:22 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> If they require Flash 7+, then truly Free software gets access to the
>> content as well. Adobe introduced proprietary codecs in Flash 8 and
>> gnash/swf2dec (??) is nowhere near feature complete for Flash 8.
>>

> Flash 9 may not be Free (libre), but it is certainly available for Linux and
> works very well (at least on 32-bit) In the mean time, if gnash/swf2dec can
> get going, then it will be possible to watch flash on low power embedded
> devices that are not x86 compatible. There are a whole next generation of
> mini-laptops running Linux just waiting for such a development.
>
> It would probably be in Adobe's interest in getting an open source Flash
> player going, as they make their money from the servers.

Have a look at this recent development (hacker-friendly PVR):

YouTube on the TV with the OSD

,----[ Quote ]
| Neuros is certainly not the only ones bringing net video to the TV, but we
| are probably the only CE company doing it with open source. Nowhere is the
| intersection between free software and free speech more obvious. If the
| connection between the internet and the TV falls into the hands of a
| proprietary vendor's closed solution, then the hard won free speech victory
| of he internet will fall far short of its ultimate potential.
`----

http://open.neurostechnology.com/node/905

I can't recall if they used open source code to achieve this.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Here be hills, there be dragons!
Tasks: 142 total,   1 running, 140 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie