Re: [News] More Evidence of SCO and the Media Corrupting Wikipedia

____/ BearItAll on Monday 20 August 2007 09:55 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Spanish TV Channels Vandalize Wikipedia
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The public station introduced falsehoods into the Wikipedia entry for
>> | John Lennon; the private one vandalized the Elvis Presley entry. Both
>> | stations said they were performing an "experiment" to check the reaction
>> | time of Wikipedia. Both articles were promptly corrected by other
>> | editors.
>> `----
>>
>> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/18/2324217&from=rss
>>

> It isn't vandalism, wikipee 'A free encyclopedia that anyone can edit' opens
> itself up so that anyone can add/edit items. So absolutely anyone can put
> in their personal opinion, or a more interesting tale, or something more
> fun than the truth, in place of what ever was there previously.
>
> wikipee is a daft idea in my view, you can't actually trust that any of the
> articles are correct. Then when some 'names' go in we get moans, we got
> moans because the CIA edited a couple, Spanish TV edited one, but if Bob
> Jones from the fish shop goes in and says 'George Bush: a dress wearing
> president of the USA', then that's alright because Bob is just an ordinary
> person so he can say anything at all in WikiPee. Just so long as experts
> don't come in and start corrupting content with the truth.

The nature of a lot of information is that it cannot be subjective. It is not
physics or mathematics. When it comes to history, there are several angles as
well and one side of the argument can be made more vocal than another. What
makes traditional encyclopedias more credible _in principle_? Opinions and
vandalism are not the same thing.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com