Re: [News] EVE is Being Ported to GNU/Linux

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:05:46 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <6956333.ACbc7pgX8d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=574782
>>
>> Linux not for games, eh?
>
> Yeah, great gaming support--four years after the game is released, the
> company starts beta testing a Linux client, built using winelib.
>
> Gaming is often a social activity.  To be a good gaming platform, a
> platform has to get games at or near release, not years later.  This is
> especially true for MMOGs, where the character of the game changes over
> time, and you miss out on a lot if you aren't there early.

There's nothing to suggest Linux is inherently not a good gaming platform.
But the games industry is about money, and in the Linux world there's less
of it to throw around.

I don't imagine it's impossible for the Linux community to develop its own
games, but it probably needs to start from the ground up, with all the
necessary Free tools being created first (game engines or whatever, I'm
not really up on the terms). And it should develop new, original ideas for
Linux gamers and games, not play follow-the-leader with Windows.

--
Kier