Re: [News] Desktop Software is Becoming Almost Irrelevant

  • Subject: Re: [News] Desktop Software is Becoming Almost Irrelevant
  • From: waterskidoo <water.skidoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:52:59 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2007-08-19, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Software as Service Draws Interest
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "By 2011, 63 percent of products in the software infrastructure market and 56
>| percent in the software application market will support web services and web
>| 2.0 technologies," Gartner reckons.
> `----
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070818/tc_pcworld/135970

I have my doubts if only for the reason that people like to touch
and feel things. IOW the thin client craze of a few years ago failed
because people like the association of having their data locally.
Add to that the fact that Microsoft software continues to
cause serious security problems and it makes a good case for
not storing/using any web based applications like office suites
for example.

Your subject line implies the applications in the future will be
web based and that is what I am addressing.
I don't think it's going to fly.