[News] Virtualisation Becomes Huge, So Microsoft Manipulates That Market, Plays Dirty

  • Subject: [News] Virtualisation Becomes Huge, So Microsoft Manipulates That Market, Plays Dirty
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 02:41:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Virtualisation values may be virtual insanity

,----[ Quote ]
| One company, VMware reached a valuation of almost $20 billion within hours of
| it floating.
`----

http://theinquirer.net/?article=41770

Will Citrix OS Streaming Deliver Vista Or Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| The big question here is whether Microsoft will want to encourage running
| Vista on an open-source hypervisor rather than its own Viridian. That will
| depend on how far Viridian gets beyond the vaporware stage, as well as the
| exact license adopted by the new consortium to which Citrix plans to hand
| over responsibility for free Xen. Microsoft would likely reject any
| client-side code released under GPL v3, thanks to a clause forbidding use in
| any consumer hardware that uses digital signatures to prevent users loading
| their own software.
`----

http://www.networkcomputing.com/channels/storageandservers/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201800659&cid=RSSfeed_TechWeb
http://tinyurl.com/3af6os

Related:

Microsoft flip-flops on Vista virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Software like Parallels Desktop for the Mac or Microsoft's own Virtual
| PC for Windows allow multiple operating systems to run simultaneously.
| When it announced licensing rules for Vista last year, Microsoft said
| that only Vista Business and Vista Ultimate could run as guest
| operating systems. The company said virtualization presents inherent
| security risks and that it hoped by limiting which versions of the OS
| could act as virtual machines, only sophisticated users and businesses
| would employ the tactic.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6191787.html

Microsoft Says No Windows Virtualization on Top of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will not allow Windows Vista or Windows XP to be virtualized on top
| of Linux, Sam Ramji, the director of Microsoft's open-source software lab,
| said at the annual LinuxWorld Conference and Expo here Aug. 7.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168183,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Will Microsoft Buy the New Citrix?

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware, holding some 85 percent of the market, with its VI3 technologies
| offers a fully integrated stack and represents a third generation of
| virtualization technology, while Viridian and Xen-based products, including
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, XenEnterprise
| and Virtual Iron, remain second-generation products, the report stated.

What the XenSource deal says about open source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/what_the_xensou.html