[News] Trial Begins Addressing H-P's Spying on Journalists (Just like Microsoft)

  • Subject: [News] Trial Begins Addressing H-P's Spying on Journalists (Just like Microsoft)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 02:18:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Journalists sue HP for invasion of privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| Four journalists and one of their family members are suing Hewlett-Packard
| for obtaining their personal phone records.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/59241,journalists-sue-hp-for-invasion-of-privacy.aspx

Below you can see Microsoft pulling similar tricks, but Microsoft, just like
the FBI (also below), is above the law.

Recently, Microsoft bloggers attacked Gutmann's character because he is
exposing Vista's DRM mess (below).

| "It also was strange to see just how many resources are aligned
| against me when I write a story about Microsoft."
|
| "there were close to a dozen other people involved...Some transcribed
| the interviews I conducted; others kept notes on my every utterance
| for clues about what questions I might ask next and ultimately what my
| story would say; others briefed executives with questions I had asked
| and suggested good answers."
`----

http://blog.wired.com/business/2007/03/enough_about_me.html

FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

,----[ Quote ]
| There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we
| reported earlier this week, can be delivered over the Internet and implanted
| in a suspect's computer remotely.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
| sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
| user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
| messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
| we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
| messages?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

Vista prevents users from playing high-def content, researcher says

,----[ Quote ]
| While Microsoft’s intent is to protect commercial content, home movies are
| increasingly being shot in high definition, Gutmann said. Many users are
| finding they can’t play any content if it’s considered “premium.”
|
| “This is not commercial HD content being blocked, this is the users’ own
| content,” Gutmann said. “The more premium content you have, the more output
| is disabled.”
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/080907-vista-high-def.html

High-quality HD content can't be played by Windows Vista

http://www.hdtvinfo.eu/news/hd-video-formats/high-quality-hd-content-cant-be-played-by-windows-vista.html

The Longest Suicide Note in History

,----[ Quote ]
| Gutmann: The genie's out of the bottle before the operating system has even
| been released! But that doesn't mean Vista users in particular - and
| the computer community at large - won't end up paying for Microsoft's
| DRM folly. At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, yet
| another reason to move to Linux.
`----     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2007/01/the_longest_suicide_note_in_hi.html

DRM in Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista includes an array of "features" that you don't want.
| These features will make your computer less reliable and less secure.
| They'll make your computer less stable and run slower. They will
| cause technical support problems. They may even require you to
| upgrade some of your peripheral hardware and existing software.
| And these features won't do anything useful. In fact, they're
| working against you. They're digital rights management (DRM)
| features built into Vista at the behest of the entertainment
| industry.
|
| And you don't get to refuse them.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/02/drm_in_windows.html

Avoid the Vista badge, it means DRM inside

,----[ Quote ]