Re: [News] More People Wave Goodbye to Windows, Even Microsoft Watch Family and Friends

On 2007-08-18, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 18 August 2007 16:14 : \____

>> IMHO it is necessary. For all the money I've spent securing XP with AV
>> and other third-party software, Malware still gets through occasionally.
>> I dread the prospect of booting into Windows, and fortunately very
>> rarely need to, but when I do, it feels like a game of Russian Roulette.
>
> Or doing the 'dirty work' quickly? As in "committing the sin and running away
> before you get caught by some virus (cop)"? I logged into a Windows PC in a
> public cluster last year, but I don't think I have done /anything/ Windows
> this year.

Windows can be secured quite nicely with free products (for home use).
The real problem is the *time* required to maintain them, the
performance hit and the occasional false trigger which may or
may not screw things up.
Example: saying no to a Zonealarm prompt by mistake and then
expecting a noob to know how to undo it so his updated version
of firefox will be able to access the net. It's even worse when installing
new devices on a home Lan.