Re: [News] [SOT] MP3 FUD Being Spread, RIAA Apparently Struggles

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 18 August 2007 20:13 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Kelsey Bjarnason spake thusly:
>
>> <quote>
>> FLAC: This codec, favored by Grateful Dead tape traders, stands for Free
>> Lossless Audio Code. It reduces storage space by 30 percent to 50 percent,
>> but without compression. A full audio CD can be burned from the file,
>> unlike from MP3s.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Reduces storage space by 30-50% *without* compression.  Ah, so it simply
>> cuts the songs off halfway through.
>
> :)
>
> I think he means "without *lossy* compression" - i.e. reduce only
> redundancy rather than both redundancy and dynamic range.
>
> Personally I'm quite happy with lossy compression, but then I'm an old
> fart who's lost his upper registers anyway.

What is the obsession with loss of quality anyway? The music can always be
reproduced from the source (unless the artist passes away). Maybe we should
also have our TV sets spewing out 500 frames per second. Yeah... that will
really make the /perceived/ experience better.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
Tasks: 110 total,   1 running, 108 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie