[News] More OOXML Ugliness -- Browser Disrimination; Sun Won't Write OOXML

  • Subject: [News] More OOXML Ugliness -- Browser Disrimination; Sun Won't Write OOXML
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:44:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
IT industry divided over open source

,----[ Quote ]
| On the other hand, IBM counters HCL on the argument. “Microsoft’s Open XML
| does not support Firefox and Opera (web browsers) despite firefox having a
| 34% market share. It only supports Internet Explorer. Also, OOXML does not
| support documents dated before 1900 but India has land records dating back to
| 1600 A.D. since the era of King Todar Mal. (The problems is that OOXML does
| not recognise dates prior to 1900 AD). Also, there is no provision for
| backward compatibility as it does not provide access to binary codes,” says
| Ashish Gautam, country leader at IBM for open standards.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Infotech/IT_industry_divided_over_open_source/articleshow/2286529.cms

Cartoon on OOXML:

http://geekandpoke.typepad.com/geekandpoke/images/2007/08/15/mssa4.jpg

Office Open XML (OOXML) Filters

,----[ Quote ]
| How far have we got with the development of OOXML filters? First of all,
| Sun's OpenOffice.org developers are only working on import filters, that is,
| filters that read OOXML documents into OpenOffice.org. We are not working on
| export filters, that is, filters that save OOXML documents. Simple reason is
| that the both situations I've described above only require OOXML import
| filters. For saving documents, we have ODF.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/office_open_xml_ooxml_filters

Related:

Malaysia formally embraces open doc format

,----[ Quote ]
| The Malaysian government today announced plans to adopt open standards and
| the Open Document Format (ODF) within the country's public sector.
|
| [...]
|
| In July this year, Japan became the first country in the Asia-Pacific region
| to embrace open software standards. Last August, the United Nations urged
| countries in the region to adopt the ODF.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62030781,00.htm

Government of Japan Embraces Open Software Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), the leading organization
| advocating for openness and accessibility to government documents and
| information, today congratulated Japan for adopting a policy under which
| government ministries and agencies will solicit bids from software vendors
| whose products support internationally recognized open standards.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/126612?topic=117674

The ODF vs. OOXML numbers. Hint, OOXML is doing poorly.

,----[ Quote ]
| Ben Langhinrichs’ has some interesting stats via Google on the relative
| number of ODF vs. OOXML documents on the web. His numbers show that there are
| 162,700 ODF documents vs. 1993 OOXML documents, and 26% of the OOXML
| documents are on microsoft.com.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1794

[OOXML:] e to the power of hype