Re: Boycott Novell

After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, to Novell, Linux *is* becoming Windows. It's blending. It's not an
>> alternative. .NET, OOXML, Silverlight...
>
> So if I understand you correctly, providing similar ways to do things
> is "not an alternative".
> *Not* providing them would be so, then.

In my opinion, one is a sucker if one adopts Microsoft technology
without the source code and the blessing of Microsoft.

I'd appreciate this technology a bit more if other companies could
safely implement them.  Companies that don't have a partner relationship
with Microsoft.

> Yes, that makes sense. Lets all bow to GPL3 and make things different.
> Especially for new users. *That* will teach them

I think you've got a complex about GPLv3.

Maybe you should work for the Samba team for awhile.

Let me rephrase the issue.  I would still be somewhat nervous about
using Microsoft technology even if they provide the source under a GPLv3
license.  If they accept that license (or even GLPv2, for that matter),
I would put my money on the fact that they found a legal loophole.

But maybe I'm too cynical.

--
Tux rox!