Re: [News] Watermarking Could Put an End to DRM

____/ BearItAll on Thursday 16 August 2007 11:16 : \____

> Well there you are then, DRM is a dead duck. I'm not the least surprised
> that iTunes none DRM'ed sales have gone up. By the way, iTunes do a higher
> than normal quallity download as well as the standard one, it's 20p more
> per tune but the difference in quallity is well worth the extra. I get
> amazing speeds on these downloads by the way, I keep checking to make sure
> a tune I bought came in because it seems too fast to be true.
>
> I am all in favour of somehow stopping the pirates, but it was a bit obvious
> that DRM wasn't the answer right from the start. That sounds a bit lame
> when I have to add that I haven't the faintest idea how online music and
> video can be protected, they are many systems possible, but none I can
> think of that wouldn't be awkward for general users and beatable by
> pirates.

It's really just a matter of copyrights, no pirates with eye patches. :-)

The thing about information sharing, it enables you to replicate music and
video as soon as you can watch and/or listen to it. Will people also start
modifying one's retina to include a biological decryption component? Of course
not, but they go as far as approved wire/approved
monitor/application/O/S(Vista).

They only punish innocent people and achieve nothing. One guy with a video cam
or a grabber dumps the data and then shares it in unencrpted form... you can't
stop that. Meanwhile, the RIAA is going looney shutting down all corners of
the Web and killing information sharing in the process (benign stuff). Just as
DRM kills digital preservation...

Just a bunch of thought anyway. Think about it using some weird analogy...
think of a guy whose ship is sinking, so he grabs a bucket and empties some of
the water that's on board. Soon enough he gets tired and the ship inevitably
sinks. He abandons, but he's too tired to swim back to shore. So why on earth
did he try the bucket routine in the first place? It was a waste of time. He
could spend the energy doing something useful. That's the RIAA. Eliminating
people's collections, bullying the customer, getting (earning) a sh**ty image,
and eventually achieving nothing.

The sales sink. Too late to swim back to shore (win back the consumer).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Yes, I know, but does it run Linux?"
Tasks: 111 total,   1 running, 110 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie