[News] Mozilla Firefox Proves That Free Software is Better Software

  • Subject: [News] Mozilla Firefox Proves That Free Software is Better Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:46:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
“Free and Professional” not a contradiction

,----[ Quote ]
| Free stuff is many times accompanied with a bad taste in common public
| opinion. As a rare exception, the open source software movement however has
| successfully disproved this impression during the last decade. Today major
| firms are involved in this open and free stuff, from IBM, Sun, HP and
| Novell - not to mention Red Hat, which is one of the most successful open
| source vendors.
`----

https://blog.startcom.org/?p=33

Why Firefox is better than Internet Explorer

,----[ Quote ]
| I want to make some quick comparison to show the differences between Mozilla
| Firefox and Microsoft’s Internet Explorer.
`----

http://software.ipgp.net/internet/why-firefox-is-better-than-internet-explorer/

Related:

Firefox Still Tops IE for Browser Security

,----[ Quote ]
| "Mozilla is forthcoming about vulnerabilities," Levy said, whereas "it
| takes Microsoft far longer to acknowledge vulnerability."
|
| How much longer? "In the last reporting period, the second half of last
| year, Microsoft had acknowledged 13 vulnerabilities. We've now revised it
| to 31. The difference is that now Microsoft has acknowledged these
| vulnerabilities."
|
| [...]
|
| "Mozilla can turn around on a dime," Levy said. "Open-source programmers
| can recognize a problem and patch it in days or weeks."
|
| And as for Microsoft?
|
| "If a vulnerability is reported to Microsoft, Microsoft doesn't
| acknowledge it for at least a month or two. There's always a certain
| lag between knowing about a bug and acknowledging it," Levy said.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1865087,00.asp?kc=EWEWKEMLP093006BOE1

IE7: Twice as performant as IE6, but half as slow as FF 1.5

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ajaxian.com/archives/ie7-twice-as-performant-as-ie6-but-half-as-slow-as-ff-15
http://tinyurl.com/y9han4