Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 Beta Live CD Released, Freespire Gets the Pass

____/ Darth Chaos on Tuesday 14 August 2007 08:14 : \____

> On Aug 13, 4:58 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Freespire On; Freespire Off
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I've been waiting for months for the release of Freespire 2.0. Over the
>> | past two years I've downloaded and tried many distros but had been saving
>> | the "best for last."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-08-13-001-26-RV-DB
>
> I actually downloaded and tested Freespire 2.0 for sh*ts and giggles.
> On the bright side, my wifi worked right out of the box and I was
> online in a matter of seconds. Then I use apt-get to install gdm,
> GNOME, and XFCE, and changed my default desktop manager to GNOME. It
> was okay, but the next day I had Ubuntu 7.04 back on there. The one
> advantage that Freespire has over Ubuntu is my install size on my
> laptop on Freespire with GNOME and Amarok and XFCE installed is about
> 3 GB, while the default installation of Ubuntu takes up quite a bit
> more. (Could that be because Ubuntu uses the ext3 file system, as
> opposed to Freespire which I think still uses ReiserFS3?)

It shouldn't affect used capacity much. The allocation tables (or equivalent)
are relatively small. Continuous storage should almost be identical.

Did you run scandisk.exe and defrag.exe?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
Tasks:  68 total,   1 running,  67 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie