Re: [News] Choosing Ubuntu Linux Because It's Debian

Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 21:27:35 +0000, ed wrote:
>>
>> The
>> Debian GNU/Linux distro is about free and openness, Ubuntu is for
>> freedom haters, it includes a bunch of stuff that is not in full
>> agreement with the GPL,
>
> This POV is out of step with the real world.  For example, one of the
> first changes I made when I installed Ubuntu was to replace the worthless
> media player (Totem Gstreamer) with the version that works (Totem Xine).
> Gstreamer is bundled with Ubuntu because it's pure GPL.  Xine is the one
> that works because it includes proprietary codecs.

Don't tell Mark Kent. He will explain in no uncertain terms how you will
be "locked in" to Xine now

> Similarly, I recently ran into problems with openoffice.org and
> discovered that the version bundled with Ubuntu is inherently troublesome
> because it leaves out certain proprietary Java components.  So I
> downloaded and installed the version available on Sun's web site, and it
> works fine.

Oh, oh. Another "lock-in" case

> Corporate users of Linux need to evaluate the exact legal status of all
> the software they use, but personal users can be more flexible.  I hardly
> think that makes us "freedom haters."
>
> Charlie

You have to look at the "future" though. And naturally decline to use any
non GPL33333 version software. After all, GPL33332 means that they can "get
you". Total loss of freedom. Or even worse...
--
It is very difficult to prophesy, especially when it pertains to the
future.