Re: Next Ubuntu Linux is "Hardy Heron" (LTS)

____/ Darth Chaos on Friday 31 August 2007 20:04 : \____

> On Aug 30, 4:59 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> ____/ Darth Chaos on Thursday 30 August 2007 08:55 : \____

>> > They already had a H...the Hoary Hedgehog. They need to rename the
>> > Warty Warthog release into "1derful 1" and the Hoary Hedgehog release
>> > into "Awesome Aardvark".
>>
>> Warty Warthog was very bland, but it worked wonderfully well (just rebranded
>> Debian with some tweaks, a CLIed GUI package manager, and GNOME at the
>> time). I still think that Ubuntu is overhyped. H-P have just chosen Red
>> Hat's desktop. A lot of money was put into its development (they even paid
>> *cough* for codecs from Microsoft).
>
> Did HP choose Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Fedora Linux?
>
> I might give Fedora a try this weekend. I really like Ubuntu, but I'm
> always willing to try out new stuff.

Red Hat has been secretly (as secretly as possible) been working on a desktop
RHEL for quite some time. They tried to keep it quiet, but they dropped some
hints in their last conference (calling it Global and saying it was just
something for developing countries, which I am not sure is true).

Linux is ready for desktop adoption and Red Hat knows it. The money is in
servers, but Red Hat needs to stop Ubuntu's growth on the desktop, IMHO,
before it expands to servers at Mandriva's, Novell's, and Red Hat's expense.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "The only source is Open Source"
 22:20:02 up 25 days,  1:13,  5 users,  load average: 1.70, 2.01, 2.25