[News] Sun Still Needs More Developers, More Markets, and More Focus

  • Subject: [News] Sun Still Needs More Developers, More Markets, and More Focus
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:16:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sun seeks developer help to make Solaris ubiquitous

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has ambitious plans for the commercial and open-source
| versions of its Solaris operating system, hoping to achieve for Solaris the
| kind of ubiquity already enjoyed by Java. To come close to reaching that
| goal, Sun needs to reach out more to developers and endeavor to overcome some
| long-held prejudices against the OS.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1553842610;fp;2;fpid;1

Enterprise Unix Roundup: No More Purple Boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| The recent hiring of Debian founder Ian Murdock and the intense re-focusing
| of the Solaris team to make the operating system more accessible can be read
| as another portent of things to come.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3696911

Sun looks to huddled masses for growth

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/30/sun_bric_growth/

Related:

"Save a Penguin, Unplug a Linux Server" May Win Most-Flamable E-Mail Award

,----[ Quote ]
| I just got an e-mail from Sun which is probably the largest violation
| of L. Ron Hubbard's Survey tech that I've ever seen. It was an e-mail
| with the title of, "Save a Penguin - Unplug a Linux Server Today".
`----

http://jetteroheller.wordpress.com/2007/05/03/save-a-penguin-unplug-a-linux-server-may-win-most-flamable-e-mail-award/

Morton: no merging of OpenSolaris with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Don’t expect to see key features of OpenSolaris showing up in the Linux
| kernel, said a top  Linux maintainer.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1295

Sun Microsystems to reduce work force

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun has been aggressively cutting costs since Jonathan Schwartz took over as
| chief executive in April 2006 from co-founder Scott McNealy.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070807/ap_on_hi_te/sun_microsystems_job_cuts

Sun CEO: "Proprietary"...did more damage to sun than any market downturn

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/04/sun_ceo_proprie.html