Re: [Rival] Microsoft Forces Death of Project That Helped It (And Other Evil New Things)

On Aug 30, 2:38 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I had a call from Microsoft Legal this morning and they have told me that we
> | are no longer allowed to endorse AutoPatcher on Neowin.
> `----
>
> http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=42266

>From the link:
"I asked the representative if Windows Genuine Advantage had anything
to do with it and he categorically told me this was not the case, he
added that Windows Update for pre-Vista versions of Windows can now be
accessed using Firefox and that the concern at Microsoft had more to
do with the possible malicious code that could be redistributed with
certified Microsoft updates."

Hmmmm. If "malicious code" means "code that could bypass DRM", then it
makes sense.