Re: Ode To Micrososoft - Updated to 2007

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
<spam@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:40:49 +0100
<iifjq4-125.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Verily I say unto thee, that dapunka spake thusly:
>> On 30 Aug, 16:49, Rex Ballard <rex.ball...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> <H1>AN ODE To Microsoft</H1>
> [snip hilarious piss-take]
>>> Feel free to post this on the BBS of your choice :-)
>>
>> Ha ha!!  I will Rex!
>
> No but seriously, I hear that Microsoft are planning a version of
> Windows that actually /works/.
>
> I believe it's due around the same time as "Duke Nukem Forever".

The scary thing is: Windows *is* working.  Not in the
technical sense of actually accomplishing something that
the user actually wants, of course, but in the sense
that Microsoft is getting billions of dollars of revenue
yearly thereby and making oodles of profits by siphoning
off revenue from, among others, OEMs, and of course
those who go out and purchase Vista in that pretty box.
(The issue is exacerbated by their interesting decisions to
eliminate certain functionality from the lower Editions,
which means the user might have to upgrade to Ultimate to
get that functionality.  Gaah!)

Even if the user later installs Linux on an OEM's computer,
Windows wins in most cases, unless the user carefully picks
the box.

This is hopefully changing (Dell in particular is offering
Ubuntu-preloaded PCs in addition to their FreeDOS
offerings) but I for one would not call this a level
playing field.

Dell is also hedging their bets -- a possible necessity
given their preexisting contracts.

Argh.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable