[News] Linux Kernel Summit Ahead; Robert Love (Kernel Hacker) Explains Why Windows Vista Scheduler is a Mess

  • Subject: [News] Linux Kernel Summit Ahead; Robert Love (Kernel Hacker) Explains Why Windows Vista Scheduler is a Mess
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:25:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Looking ahead to Kernel Summit 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Virtualization is the hot topic in the Linux business, but it's off the
| developers' agenda. Here's what kernel developers are planning to discuss at
| their upcoming conference in Cambridge.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/082807-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Those Dang DPCs Clogging the MMCSS [or "Why Vista Scheduling is Broken"]

,----[ Quote ]
| Critical optimizations such as zero-copy aside, there is no excusable reason
| why processing IP packets should so damagingly affect the system.
|
| [...]
|
| Putting aside the larger problem for the moment, there are several issues
| with this solution. It prioritizes multimedia playback over networking
| performance, which, as the resulting clamor has shown, is not everyone's
| personal policy preference. It is almost assuredly a layering violation. It
| picks a fixed and hard-coded packet limit (ten per millisecond), which won't
| scale across different hardware—think significantly faster processors or
| substantially slower networking drivers. It ignores the commonality of GigE.
| And, finally, the solution is complicated, as the convoluted description and
| resulting bugs in the implementation demonstrate.
`----

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/08/robert-love-backs-up-my-very-simple.html

More background here:
http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/08/robert-love-backs-up-my-very-simple.html

The good developers just don't wish to work for Microsoft. Maybe that's why
Windows 7 is being developed overseas and Microsoft fights for more visas
(using lobbyists). Links below.

Recent:

Microsoft Hires Lobbyist for Visa Issues

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has previously said that about one-third of its 46,000 U.S.-based
| employees have work visas or are legal permanent residents with green cards.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070824/microsoft_lobbying.html?.v=1

Related:

Microsoft India centre working on Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Designers and engineers at Microsoft R&D centre in India have a new mandate
| for development of Windows 7, the next generation operating system from
| Microsoft Corporation, slated for release in 2009-10.
`----

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/microsoft-india-centre-workingwindows-7/09/56/296305

Microsoft sings 'O Canada' amid immigration challenges

| The new software development center will open somewhere in the
| Vancouver, British Columbia, area and will be "home to software
| developers from around the world," Microsoft said in a statement
| on Thursday.
|
| "The Vancouver area is a global gateway with a diverse population,
| is close to Microsoft's corporate offices in Redmond, and allows
| the company to recruit and retain highly skilled people affected
| by immigration issues in the U.S.," Microsoft said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6195049.html

Microsoft laments demise of immigration bill

,----[ Quote ]
| The major immigration reform bill that was heavily lobbied by Microsoft and
| other technology companies was dealt its death blow in the Senate today and
| appears to be done for the next two years at least.
`----

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/techtracks/archives/2007/06/microsoft_laments_the_demise_of_immigration_bill_1.html

Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers

,----[ Quote ]
| ...a new study from Duke University calls this argument bunk, stating
| that there is no shortage of engineers in the United States, and
| that offshoring is all about cost savings.

Is There a Shortage of U.S. Tech Workers?

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking before a Senate committee earlier this month, Gates said
| that America is facing a critical shortage of tech workers. He
| recommended boosting the number of H-1B visas to allow more foreign
| tech workers into the U.S.
|
| [...]
|
| "I think that has created an environment where the population of advanced
| skill workers has shrunk a lot in the U.S., because we just haven't created
| a fair system," he says. "Where if you go to other countries, you'll find
| national policy around broadband deployment, which creates a much more even
| playing field for people of all income levels to learn by and work by."
|
| "We did it to ourselves," he says.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3667376

Visas for High-Tech Workers Draw Query

,----[ Quote ]
| Two senators are questioning several companies about their use
| of a visa program for highly skilled workers.
|
| [...]
|
| The high-tech industry has long complained that too few visas are
| available. Microsoft Corp. is among a group of companies that has
| pushed for increasing the available visas.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/high_tech_visas.html?.v=1

Gates calls for 'infinite' H-1Bs, better schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Politicians indicated they're also willing to take cues from Gates
| as they craft new laws in the immigration area. In his testimony,
| Gates said there's only one way to solve what he deemed a
| "crisis"-level shortage of qualified scientific talent: "Open our
| doors to highly talented scientists and engineers who want to live,
| work and pay taxes here."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-11153_22-6165166.html

Bill Gates to address Senate panel