Re: Linux Renders Windows Media Player Obsolete

flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Linux Media Center Better Then Windows Media Center?

,----[ Quote ]
There's one HTPC system we haven't covered. Linux MCE is a free package designed to run on Ubuntu and Kubuntu that combines several applications into a powerful system that goes well beyond the scope of a traditional HTPC.

In addition to PVR functions, you get centralized control of
media appliances, as well as full home automation. This includes support for lighting, climate control, security cameras and a PBX with voicemail.
`----

http://www.pointsboard.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=84#p191

Linux MCE is now sold as an affordable appliance as well. See Fiire below.

Yea sure. How about Soundforge, Cubase, Protools, Logic, and all the VST instruments like Ivory, Garritan etc that go along with Windows and Mac. How about plugins? Jack this you weirdo.... Get real you Linux kook. Linux is a joke when it
comes to multimedia.

http://www.osalt.com/cinelerra

[quote]
Cinelerra is a highly advanced and professional video editing,
but still remains open source. Cinelerra solves three main tasks:
capturing, editing and compositing. There is virtually no limit
to the video resolution so whether its standard or high
definition (hd) doesn't really matter in Cinelerra. And when it
comes to exporting it supports H.264, which most likely is going
to be the predominant format for hd video.

By utilizing OpenGL and compatible graphic cards Cinelerra is
able to preview your edited video in real-time - no rendering
required. This makes editing a much more simple and intuitive
task - giving you full creativity. Video effects can also be
added and Cinelerra comes with all of the standard effect plus a
few extras - this includes both audio and video effects.

And finally when you have to render your final movie - you can
setup a renderfarm of cheap workstations to do the job for you. A
renderfarm is a low cost way to get a whole lot of cpu power to
quickly solve you problems and finish your jobs.
[/quote]

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5847717353.html

[selective quotes]
In summation, I've done the research and deployed Linux on three systems in a professional recording studio environment - and my employers and staff could not be happier.

To begin, this operation is an audio production facility housed inside a medium market radio station, the flagship of a seven-station group. This is a very conservative company, and it took a lot of arm-twisting to get them to allow this shift away from the comfort zone of Windows.

A caveat here: These systems are not routinely doing elaborate multi-track production, although that is quite possible using open source software. Using a combination of Broadcast 2000, SND, and ReZound, we have been creating some astonishing work. One of our competitors recently paid $24,000 for a Windows-based dedicated editing station that does little more than we can on our $950 off-the-shelf PC running Linux (and they paid another 3 thousand dollars to fly in a trainer to teach their staff how to use it!).

These systems are primarily used for simple audio file creation, shipping and receiving of same, CD archiving; the basic day to day stuff. They are however running and in use 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. In seven months of continuous use, the original Linux box has never lost a single byte of material, never locked or crashed, and never needed a single re-boot. Two other systems are equally stable and functional.

Now to the numbers: The office manager has accused me of shuffling expenses. Our tech support and repair costs have dropped to zero. I've posted two tech questions to the Mandrake support site, and received the correct answers within 24 hours. Any non-Mandrake questions I had along the way were answered by simply typing the problem into Google. We paid $69 for Mandrake 9.0 Power Pack edition, and have installed it on three systems so far - that's $23 per machine. For XP, it would have been $165 per license, and several hundred dollars more for the additional software required, again multiplied by three.

Increased productivity, greater stability, tighter security, lower costs, higher quality finished product. Let the Linux FUD slingers say what they will. At our facility, we're sold on the viability of Linux and Open Source software as a professional editing suite and desktop tool.
[/selective quotes]

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb04/articles/mirrorimage.htm

Using Linux For Recording & Mastering
Mirror Image Studios

[quote]
The Linux Software

The Linux environment at Mirror Image is based around the JACK low-latency audio server, the Ardour DAW and the Rosegarden MIDI + Audio sequencer (see my article on Linux and music in SOS February 2003, available on-line at www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb03/articles/linuxaudio.asp). As an early user of Ardour, Parker thinks he probably produced the very first full album to be made using the program — when it wasn't even a beta version. "I knew it would be an almost intolerable technical challenge, but felt the proof of concept would be good for me and the Linux professional audio community. A feature that I really appreciate that other DAWs don't have is the Sound File Database (SFDB). It's a database interface to the file system — a useful tool for anyone who intends to use large sample libraries."

Ardour has now matured to the point where Parker can consider it for more projects, although there are still a few glitches to work out as of the second beta release, which will lead to version 1.0. But the potential for efficient, stable and highly flexible technology offered by the Linux system keeps Parker motivated ("I'm no good at benchmarking, but I have put this system under some real-world stress tests and the performance is incredible"). Despite claiming to be a non-technical user when it comes to computers, Parker has been able to engage directly with Linux audio developers. Parker's many hours spent behind a mixing desk have provided useful experience that the developers need to get the software right, so it's a two-way collaboration. This partnership effort has helped the development of new applications that will complete a pure Linux setup at Mirror Image, from first take to finished CD.
[/quote]

--
HPT