[News] Linux Renders Windows Media Player Obsolete

  • Subject: [News] Linux Renders Windows Media Player Obsolete
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:25:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Media Center Better Then Windows Media Center?

,----[ Quote ]
| There’s one HTPC system we haven’t covered. Linux MCE is a free package
| designed to run on Ubuntu and Kubuntu that combines several applications into
| a powerful system that goes well beyond the scope of a traditional HTPC.
|
| In addition to PVR functions, you get centralized control of media
| appliances, as well as full home automation. This includes support for
| lighting, climate control, security cameras and a PBX with voicemail.
`----

http://www.pointsboard.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=84#p191

Linux MCE is now sold as an affordable appliance as well. See Fiire below.

Related:

Linux media center distro adds flashy features

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxMCE appears to comprise a set of add-ons -- such as the MythTV DVR
| (digital video recorder), for example -- that sit on top of Kubuntu, the
| version of Ubuntu that uses KDE (K desktop environment). It adds numerous
| fancy features, including the optional alpha-blended UI (user interface)
| shown in the screenshots below.

LinuxMCE 0704 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| "LinuxMCE 0704 is a major improvement over the original 1.0 release.
| According to a poll, 86% now report LinuxMCE installs and starts up without
| problems, versus 27% with the original release.
`----

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Software/LinuxMCE-0704-Released.html

LinuxMCE 1.1 Released -- Now Runs KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| There's also word that LinuxMCE, since it works so well with the
| KDE desktop environment, that the guys at the KDE project are
| seriously considering integrating LinuxMCE into their upcoming
| 4.0 release. Now this is HUGE! If combined in the KDE 4.0 release,
| LinuxMCE + Kubuntu would be a free, open-source competitor/aternative
| to Windows Vista Ultimate.
`----

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/3891/linuxmce_1_1

Fiire's Linux-based media center ties it all together

,----[ Quote ]
| A clever group of whippersnappers have got the right idea when it comes to
| home entertainment, namely, LinuxMCE-based systems that don't break the bank
| but offer a pretty stacked feature set. Fiire, a company which manufactures
| and sells modular media boxes and remotes aimed at unifying your media center
| has a few items it'd like you to see.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/15/fiires-linux-based-media-center-ties-it-all-together/

Remember WMC? Black album cover art

,----[ Quote ]
| It also does too many things on it’s own, which is to be expected from
| Microsoft. XD. It starts to overwrite cover art for every single little puny
| mistake you make in your tags.
`----

http://www.afad.nl/alternate/2007/08/21/remember-wmc/

HP Exits Media Center Business, Drops DEC Line

,----[ Quote ]
| HP is pulling out of the Digital Entertainment Center (DEC) business.
| The company that pioneered the living-room form factor for Media
| Center Edition (MCE) PCs has decided to drop the line.
`----

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/18066.html

Microsoft abandons PMCs

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems Microsoft is abandoning the Portable Media Centre, a format
| that was once considered a possible iPod killer.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/26957/Microsoft-abandons-PMCs

The various levels of suckage - Windows MCE

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://mynutsandi.blogspot.com/2007/05/various-levels-of-suckage-windows-mce.html

`----