Re: Microsoft Will Have Caught up with Yesterday's Linux Some Day

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:42:55 -0700, flatfish wrote:

> On Aug 26, 9:22 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Windows Vienna and IE8 Features Leaked
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Here is the leaked features list :
>
> Yet 90 percent or more of the earth uses Windows.
> How do you explain that when Linux is free?

Back peddling the same old bollocks again? Funny, I seem to recall you
were using PCLOS a while back, and praising it to the skies.

But, since you want to talk about the reasons, let's go.

For a start, Windows began as a desktop OS, which in its early stages,
Linux did not. Windows has been aggressively marketed as a product, while
Linux is given little publicity - yet Linux has grown and grown even
without a lot of public exposure. It's a bit like the old Tortoise and
Hare story. Linux plods along reliably, gaining by degrees, while the Hare
wears itself out.

It's a long-term project.

Will Linux ever wholly replace Windows? Probably not, IMO. First, MS has a
stranglehold on the hardware manufacturers, and the market. Second, Linux
is intended as an alternative, not as a replacement.

Does it matter?

IMO, not as much as some people think. Linux is still gaining a
respectable share of the user-base, and daily becoming a more and more
viable alternative. It develops very rapidly, while Windows struggles to
improve itself. It's not going to overtake Windows any time soon, but nor
is it going away.

Now, maybe you'd like to discuss this sensibly, instead of acting like a
rabid dog.

--
Kier