[News] Germany Universities Move to GNU/Linux (Also Desktops)

  • Subject: [News] Germany Universities Move to GNU/Linux (Also Desktops)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 01:46:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
German Universities Tap Novell for Infrastructure Needs

,----[ Quote ]
| The agreement will give 560,000 students and employees across 33 universities
| access to key enterprise management and Linux services from Novell, including
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070828/aqtu041.html?.v=29

More from 'Microsoft Linux':

People of openSUSE: Andreas Jaeger

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we present the interview with Andreas Jaeger, Director
| Platform/openSUSE and also the very first person who came up with the idea to
| launch the project ‘People of openSUSE’.
`----

http://news.opensuse.org/?p=161

He recently got promoted from OpenSUSE Project Leader.

Related (also from Germany):

Linux employment in German schools rises

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a study of the computer science Dienstleisters DLGI the German
| schools invest into computer science instruction, whereby Linux and
| OpenOffice.org are increasingly used.
|
| The Microsoft monopoly at the schools, which is to be at present about 99%,
| will crumble in the coming two years, found DLGI out in the study. In this
| period new PC systems want to purchase, over 40% also new Office software
| over 50% of the asked schools. Many look actively for alternatives to
| Microsoft.
`----

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=mozclient&num=50&u=http%3A//www.pro-linux.de/news/2007/11520.html
http://www.pro-linux.de/news/2007/11520.html