[News] [Rival] Microsoft Recruits the World Against Itself, Corruption of ISO Continues

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Recruits the World Against Itself, Corruption of ISO Continues
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 01:41:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The OOXML Vote: How Bad Can it Get? (Keep Counting)

| As someone who has spent a great part of my life working to support open
| standards over the past 20 years, I have to say that this is the most
| egregious, and far-reaching, example of playing the system to the advantage
| of a single company that I have ever seen.  Breathtaking, in fact.  That's
| assuming, of course, that I am right in supposing that all of these newbie
| countries vote "yes."
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070828095140796

Watch the comments. ISO is being killed by a single company and Microsoft
should be ashamed, not flattered. OOXML won't be approved for a long time
though.

Last minute OOXML voters welcome

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s clear that whatever the vote, OOXML will not be a JTC1 standard for a
| long, long time, no matter what people say next week. It’s also clear that
| unless the process is quickly terminated with OOXML being rejected as
| unsuitable with comments unresolvable, it will churn on and on and on, no
| matter what you feel about it or the OOXML spec.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1813

Critics urge rejection of Microsoft "open" format

| A Microsoft document format that may be adopted as an international standard
| this weekend is a ploy to lock in customers, who could lose control over
| their own data in a worst-case scenario, critics say.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSL2824601520070828

Why Microsoft fears open source more than other proprietary vendors do

,----[  ]
| A thought hit me this morning while I was reading through Microsoft's latest
| garbage-fodder (also known as "research") on OOXML and Sharepoint. Here is
| the world's largest software company taking potshots at open source, which
| maybe affects 0.001% of its revenues today. If that.
|
| Now look at Oracle, SAP, IBM, etc. You won't find a single other company
| making a concerted effort to fight open
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9767386-16.html

Excellent point. No company is as vicious and ruthless as the poppa of all FUD
and propaganda (which rewrites history in attempts to hide this).