[News] [Rival] Microsoft's OOXML Abuse Annoys Africa, Company Single-handedly Kills the ISO

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's OOXML Abuse Annoys Africa, Company Single-handedly Kills the ISO
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 04:35:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
African civil society warns Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| African Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) may be spoiling for war with the
| global software giant, Microsoft Corporation, over its bid to have its DIS
| 29500 'Office Open Extensible Markup Language (OOXML)' endorsed by the
| International Standard Organisation (ISO).
`----

http://www.africanews.com/site/list_messages/10937

MS threatens legitimacy of ISO

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft whines they are following the rules. Well, it's also within the
| rules to fire a competent and cooperative single mother of 4 children and
| replace her with your drinking buddy. Some rules.
| ISO will commit suicide if OOXML becomes a standard as it is now. But maybe
| that's what Microsoft wants.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-08-27-024-26-OS-LL-PB-0003

5 simple questions on OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Here are some 5 simple questions you should get an answer from your
| Standardisation Body, from ECMA, or from Microsoft...
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/5questions

OOXML is a hoax. Some people already announce the irrelevance of the ISO (see
bottom, with highlight).

Recent:

Background information on ODF, OOXML and why It matters

,----[ Quote ]
| In response they have apparently been sending PR teams around to national
| Standards boards all over the world(Ghana for a fact) to lobby for votes for
| OOXML under the guise of talking about ‘Open XML Standards’.
|
| [...]
|
| If OOXML is inappropriately tied to Microsoft tools and software, it doesn’t
| fit the definition of an open standard and making it one is inviting trouble
| we don’t want and probably can’t recover from quickly.
`----

http://ghanageek.wordpress.com/2007/08/17/background-information-on-odf-ooxml-and-why-it-matters/

Related:

Ghana pursuing open source policy

,----[ Quote ]
| The minister also said that "Ghana's legislators, of which I am a member,
| use Linux to support the computing facilities at Parliament House".
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1472

OOXML: Is it safe?

,----[ Quote ]