Re: [News] Microsoft MVP (Pirillo) Frustrated with Vista, Wants Linux VM

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

> The biggest issue with Compiz and co is around the OpenGL stuff.  It's
> never been more urgent to have open-source openGL drivers supporting
> this;  I recall that the openATI driver is actually needed by Compiz, or
> at least, it was at some point.

It was needed by AIGLX rather than Compiz specifically. Fglrx still
doesn't work with AIGLX, although it works fine on XGL. Whereas nVidia's
(new) proprietary drivers (now) don't need either, the DRI is in the
driver, so they work on Compiz directly without the AIGLX/XGL API.

> Roll on the nouveau project, as rapidly as possible.

Presumably nouveau is like radeon, in that it will work with AIGLX.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Proprietary licenses, the crack cocaine of software finance."
|  - Matt Asay, CNET

 21:07:17 up 15 days, 20:02,  2 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.27, 0.21