Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Can Harm Hardware

____/ [H]omer on Friday 24 August 2007 18:01 : \____

>> How Windows Vista almost destroyed my Laptop!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | DON'T and I mean DO NOT install Windows Vista. If somebody tries to sell
>> | you Windows Vista then RUN! Windows Vista had due to it's intense
>> | background-processes heated up my CPU over such a long time to such a high
>> | temperature that the cooling systems of my laptop started literally
>> | FALLING APART!
>
> Vista is not unique in that regard. I've stated before that one such
> program no Windows user should *ever* use is Diskeeper. Defragging
> FAT/NTFS filesystems is a necessary evil, which should be done on a
> regular basis, but the degree to which Diskeeper thrashes hard drives is
> beyond ridiculous (using the default methods and schedule). One rapidly
> runs into the law of diminishing returns, and the result is a disk that
> reaches its MTBF *much* quicker than one would expect.
>
> Indeed it is symptomatic of much of the administration tools and methods
> under Windows - a case of taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
>
> To what degree the multifarious "activity" on Vista is necessary, only
> Microsoft knows, but I'd be willing to bet that most of it is gross
> overkill - probably with a /restrictions/ agenda somewhere in the mix.

Ivan from LinuxExtremist wrote something about it last year when batteries
exploded. The lust for waste (why let the PC ever rest?) leads to building of
machines that do more than they can physically cope with.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Far away from home, robots build people"